Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Kat's Meows | The fat perspective


Lately, I have really enjoyed watching documentaries about various diets and weight loss. As someone who has lost weight myself, it is inspiring and exciting to hear the stories of people in similar situations. Watching "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" will change your life. Do it. I've also read many blog posts from women who have lost 50 or more pounds and see the effects that their weight loss has on not only their personal lives and circles, but the way the world sees them.

I have written a blog post about my weight loss, but I thought it's about time for me to jump on the bandwagon of writing specifically about something I like to call the "fat perspective."
During the bulk of my initial weight loss, I noticed a change right away in the way that people treated me. I would go to the market, and workers would start a new line for me. People would smile at me more. People genuinely seemed more interested in my life. I attributed this to the new found confidence that I had gained through looking and feeling better. I definitely think it has a lot to do though with the way the world views fat people.

I appreciate the perspective of many of the weight loss stories I have read; these women feel like they should not have been judged harshly as a fat person, and feel bad for the respect they've gained since weight loss. However, to be completely honest, I don't blame the judgement of the world one bit. Since weight loss, I have actually become more critical and I suppose you could call that being judgmental. But it isn't because I don't have sympathy or love for my fellow brothers and sisters who are in the position I was in a few years ago. It is BECAUSE I was there. I know what it's like to be obese. I also know what it's like to take control of your life and change it. Stereotypes of the overweight exist for a reason. Not to say that all obese people are lazy and gross, but I will admit that my habits have changed dramatically since weight loss. The bottom line is that when you have less extra on your body, it is just plain easier to move around and to be active. I am critical towards people that I see struggling with weight because I still struggle every day and I am the most judgmental towards myself. The thing is, if I can do it, anyone can do it. Every time I see anyone struggling with weight, I want to yell at them that they can succeed if they TRY. I think it's great to embrace and love the body that you have. But part of that is also giving basic maintenance to the body that we have been blessed with. You can love and embrace your body, while making changes to improve it.

That being said, I want to also reflect on the world's perspective. Not only is it motivation to keep the weight off because I feel way better physically and mentally 80 pounds lighter, but it is frankly imperative for me to excel in the ways I plan to. I have to wonder what high school would have been like for me in the body that I have currently. I feel like I would have had more opportunities and that I would have gotten the things that I applied for, ran for, etc. However, I am SO grateful for the experiences that I did have. In my adolescence, I tried out/ran for/interview for/applied for so many different opportunities, many of them that I didn't get. But this taught me to not be afraid to try and has served me well in advancing through my college career and leadership opportunities that exist here. Not to say that every missed opportunity was due to my weight, and definitely not to say that every opportunity gained now is because of how I look, but I do think it is part of it. First impressions are vital in the professional world, and the way that a person presents themselves says a lot. I understand the view of the world because if I person can keep their body in shape, it shows a lot about their dedication. However, I can also understand the fat perspective. Back when I was obese, I worked extremely hard and sometimes was turned down for certain positions which isn't fair either. Both sides of the argument have validity.

In the long run, I am grateful for the motivation I was given to make a change. I am grateful for the opportunities that I believe I will have in the future. I am also grateful for the missed opportunities I have had, because the experiences of trying and failing have just made me stronger.

There are so many different perspectives. This is my fat perspective.


No comments:

Post a Comment