Thursday, November 27, 2014

Green Eats | Happy T[of]urkey Day

Happy Thanksgiving!
I have been in heaven this week, enjoying home with the sun, pets, friends, and family.
Lately, there have been several juice bars opening up back at school, and I noticed the same trend in my home town in the time that I've been back.
I have been so inspired to start juicing myself, and although I will continue to support the locals selling wonderful juice, I think it's also a habit I should adopt for healthy living.
I invested in a juicer back in high school because I thought it was the "cool" thing to do. Ironic that I brought it out again because it is once again the "cool" thing to do, but this time, I actually understand the health benefits.

Today, I decided I would juice two recipes: a pre-Thanksgiving feast juice, and one for after.
I am not super into gorging myself with the Thanksgiving feast (because Thanksgiving food is not my favorite), but I still thought it would be fun to create several recipes to serve the purpose of getting one back on track during the holidays.

Pre-Thanksgiving Feast Juice
- 1 cucumber
- 1 LARGE beet
- 1 Apple
- Thumb of ginger







 Post-Thanksgiving Feast Juice
- 1 Bag leftover cranberries
- 1 Apple
- 1 beet
- Thumb of ginger



The inside of a cranberry, who knew..

Juice lined up: cranberry, beet, apple.


 Best Practice Juicing Tips
- Buy organic. This is definitely a situation where organic is crucial. Normally, I don't pay attention to buying organic (mostly because I'm a poor college student). However, because you are putting most of the fruit/veggie into the juicer, you want your produce to be free of pesticides for sure.
- You should probably cut around the apple seeds. I did some research into fruits and vegetables this week to get a better understanding of health benefits, and I had no clue about this one. Apple seeds have a trace amount of cyanide in them. It's not really enough to kill you, but why chance it, right?
- Buy more vegetables! As a frugal college student, I am hyper aware of costs. Fruits tend to be more expensive, so try and juice more veggies. Also, buy in season so lower costs, as well.

Happy juicing & happy Thanksgiving!







No comments:

Post a Comment