Friday, January 24, 2014

MCOM | Networking

I was very inspired by Tuesday's lecture on networking.
It is true that networking is a huge part of the professional world and so important for any kind of long-term success.
I am a recreation management major, and especially in the industries I am qualified to enter, most career paths are acquired by the people you know.

So, my action plan for this week is to make an organized list of my professional contacts.
This will include any mentors I have had, professors, supervisors, or anyone I've met along the way. I would like to start keeping track of not only the name and contact info for professional contacts, but also key facts about them or their family. I believe that this will assist me in networking effectively.


4 comments:

  1. I also enjoyed our lesson on networking. It is all a little bit overwhelming to me...but I can take small steps such as starting a contact list. I don't graduate for a few more years, but the sooner one starts networking, the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea that our TA Leticia gave us of putting together a contact list. That is a great idea to do. I'm glad you mentioned it in your blog, because I'm sure it will help if you are jobless and need a good referral. Networking definitely is a smart thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also really like that idea! I like how you are actually motivated to do it. ;) I think what is really going to make a difference is writing down the fun facts about the people you meet or about their families. If you can do that, it shows people that you are not just interested in having a business relationship with them, but a personal one too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That class lecture was great! It gave me some great ideas for how to start talking to more people to make those connections, and I like the thought of seeing what you can do for others no matter what you get out of it! Very specific goal, nice!

    ReplyDelete