Saturday, March 1, 2014

MCOM | Interview skills and materials

This past week's lesson was definitely my favorite of the lessons so far. I think that preparing resumes, cover letters, and interviewing is very exciting and also reminds me of how the things I do make an impact on my future career.
I really loved guest speaker, Kathleen's remarks and I thought her perspective was interesting as well as helpful. Something that really stood out to me was that she is more concerned with experience than GPA. This really meant a lot to me because I have always struggled with academics. Work has been something I could excel in and therefore, I have a ton of experience. It was nice to hear from a professional that it isn't always grades that will make the difference, but the experience you have gained along the way.
I will continue to build my resume through valuable leadership experiences and I am excited to perfect my interview materials through this course.


3 comments:

  1. I kind of liked what she said about GPA. I really am not good at academics but I am OCD in a way and have to get good grades. I study so hard and get so stressed because of them. For this reason I liked what she said because it puts some of the pressure off. Also in my relief society class on sunday a lady said one of her professors told her a C grade was still a degree. That is so true. We are here for a degree, not to master how to get good grades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After interviewing you, I definitely know that you have a ton of experience! You really made me want to get more involved in things to build up my resume! Also, I read you're weight loss story, and PROPS GIRL!! That is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had similar concerns regarding academics before hearing her views on GPA. I may not have the ability to get a 4.0 every semester, but I work hard and I am willing to do whatever it takes to qualify myself for career opportunities. I of course am not saying school isn't important, but a good balance of school and other opportunities create a solid background.

    ReplyDelete