Friday, May 23, 2014

The Fit-ty Kitty | Gym

One of the main staples and reasons for my weight loss is my dedication to working out every day. As mentioned before, I started by doing work outs in my home, and then attending the gym twice a day. I know make my daily trip to the gym and it is my favorite part of each day.

A good lesson I have learned from my gym attendance is that each person's fitness journey is their own. I can't be distracted by others at the gym that seem to have their health together, because each person's journey is different and that's okay.

I get asked a lot what my gym routine looks like. It's different every day, but here's the basics:

- Walk to and from the gym (about 15 min. walk)
This is actually pretty important, and is a great warm up and cool down to the exercising I do. I also am able to get in the mindset of working out (especially if it has been a particularly long day).
- Cardio - 30 mins to 75 mins
I like to use an elliptical for my cardio routine. I switch up times depending on how my body is feeling but for the most part, it goes in a pattern of day 1 (30 mins.), day 2 (45 mins.), and day 3 (60 mins.), and once in a blue moon, I'll do 75 mins.
- Weights
I suspect that weight lifting has been one of the key ingredients to my weight loss success (mostly because of what I have read about weight loss and lifting). I also really enjoy it, so it is a great end to my workout every day. My gym has a circuit weight lifting machine, that I just follow around with varying number of reps (again depending on how I feeling that day). Please excuse me for any wrong labeling of equipment, I really don't care too much about what the machines are called. I start with a hip extension machine, and do 5 sets of 20 on 130 lbs. I then move to a machine similar to an arm rower? I do about four sets of reps of 10 on 70 lbs. Next, I use the abdominal twist machine and do 25 on each side at 110 lbs. Then, arms again with a shoulder press machine (the vertical one, though) and do as many as I can. I then switch to legs again and do leg extensions. I finish with a traditional shoulder press and if I have time, go through my favorite machines again.
- Home workout
Usually right before I go to bed and after I have been to the gym for the day, I end my day with a nightly workout. I do 50 - 200 squats, depending on the night. I also do 30 sit-ups, 10 push-ups, 100 pelvic extension things (I obviously don't know what they're called), 50 "peeing dogs" on each leg (also don't know what they're actually called), and do some dumbbell exercises.

I have learned to really enjoy exercise, and I believe that is what has enabled me to continue to lose weight. I feel stronger every day, and I am excited to continue.

Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment