Thursday, August 14, 2014

Kat's Meows | Sprouting Adventures! (& recipe)

Every summer, I usually get the urge to grow sprouts. Up until now, I haven't had all the equipment to be successful in sprouting (or the patience), and so I am usually unsuccessful in my ventures.
So, I decided to buy myself a super cheap sprouter from the local health food store with some mung beans to start.
If you've never heard of sprouting before, here's what's up...pretty much all sorts of legumes and seeds have the potential to be sprouted. This is when you start their growing process (as if you wanted them to grow into a full-size plant). Because it takes so much energy for a little seed to transform into a plant, there is a TON of nutrients that come with the sprouted seed/legume. So, sprouted anything is super good for us. When you sprout something, it also makes it easier for our bodies to digest, and therefore is good for us, as well.
Side note...sprouting is also a great activity for someone like me because since I can't have pets, I like to garden and take care of my little plants (probably way too attached to them, actually).

Let's get started!
First, start with what you want to sprout. I chose mung beans this time but you can pretty much sprout any legume or seed. I've done black beans, flax seed, and quinoa before.
You'll want to soak them for a while. The larger beans require more soaking, of course.
Then, put them in your sprouter and water several times a day, keeping moist but not wet.
Depending on what you're sprouting, you'll have delicious sprouts within a couple days. They can be eaten alone or in any dish you'd like.

Sprouts Recipe

Spicy sweet potato salad with sprouts
- Several sweet potatos (baked or boiled)
- Veganese (or mayonnaise)
- Lemon juice
- Korean chili paste
- Cucumber
- Red bell pepper
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Homegrown delicious sprouts!





No comments:

Post a Comment